Life as an Ozmerican

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Hooter Hider

As promised, a post about the best invention ever, the hooter hider. My mom is one crafty chick, she was a home maker in a previous life, this life she was reincarnated into a Principal that kicked a$$ and took names later...wonder what she'll be the next time around? Growing up she made a lot of my dresses for special occasions and there wasn't a button she couldn't sew down so it would NEVER even think about coming loose again. Anyways, back to the story, out here in the ridiculously rich area of San Jose is a little neighborhood called Santana Row. The cars are Lamborghini's, alpha romeos and the like (my little scion xA covered in squirrel warfare fits right in). The street is very much like Church Street in Burlington, full of boutique shops and awesome restaurants. When I was pregnant with Rhys, Shan and I would go out on a Friday night for dinner and see all of these women with babies enjoying a night out. When it was time to nurse the babies, they whipped out this piece of fabric (most ugly as all get out, think patterns made by the teletubies), slung it over their neck and discretely fed the little ones. I checked them out online and they were going for $50-$75 and called some snotty French name which probably translated to what I think they should be called "Hooter Hiders". I sent mom the measurements and she made 3 really beautiful ones in the time it would take me to buy one online and it only cost like $15 bucks for all of the fabric and neck holder thingy. Now when we go out, Rhys can be fed in the privacy of his own hooter hider and no one knows what the heck you're up to...however I think the kicking of little feet and sounds of a snorgling horse are a give-away. They're awesome because Rhys is always grabbing at it and yanking but since its around my neck like an apron, he fails every time. :) The one I had on tonight was ivory with an eyelit pattern (um I think it was that, not entirely sure...its darn cute though) If anyone wants one, give mom a shout. I've gotten lots and lots of compliments when I'm out and about with him...no more are the days of the blankets that fall off your shoulder. Do not pay attention to how my hair looks, there's always something I forget to do when we leave the house.
While enjoying dinner, Rhys and Shannon both got a bit distracted by the chocolate brownie dessert we ordered. Tomorrow we're heading back to Santana Row for the Farmer's Market and to meet Giada De Laurentis, the Food Network Italian chick. Shannon LOVES her food and casually mentions certain dishes in the hopes I'll try to replicate them.






No comments: